E2 Inspire - Christine Brown-Quinn, an Amazon #1 Best Seller in Business & Finance: Unlock Your Career Success - Knowing the Unwritten Rules Changes Everything
Katie.Dix / 26 Oct 2020
Working harder is a great way to kick-start your career, but when you get past a certain point, it’s not the only thing that matters. In this week’s E2 Inspire, we heard from Christine Brown-Quinn about the unwritten rules that unlock career success.
After almost 30 years in business, including working as an MD in investment banking, Christine started a new career in 2010 as The Female Capitalist®. Through her webinars, coaching, and in-person workshops, Christine helps professional women globally to understand what really matters in getting ahead in the corporate world. She is also an Amazon number 1 best selling author with her latest book published this year.
Her presentation was full of ideas and debate, so we would really encourage you to watch it. There was far too much in it to cover in a short article. However, to get you started, here are five of her top tips and ideas:
- Remember you can’t do everything yourself, so focus on doing what you enjoy. It’s not about being superwoman. It’s about giving yourself the energy to be successful, which could mean having a team around you at home, just as you do at work.
- When you get stuck in your career, add a strategic filter. Ask yourself where do I want to go, who needs to see me and what do I need to be talking about. Then position yourself for the next level.
- Following on from this idea, make time to have conversations about your future, so you can help people connect the dots. This can pay dividends in your day job as well, since it could give you more information about what’s happening in your team, company and industry.
- Make sure people know you’re the expert – but don’t feel you have to shout about yourself. Try talking about the business and its success in a way that makes clear your involvement. This could help your colleagues too, as sharing with them what is working well could support their careers.
- Finally, think about how you want to phrase your own story in a way that makes it impactful and easy to share. Don’t forget that the people above you have to self-promote as well, so they benefit directly when you give them a good story. This means thinking about what you want to say and practising how you present it. If it’s not one of your skills at the moment, watch the people who are good at it, so you can learn from them.
Please watch the full recording below:
I really like this article
Back to blog