Our client is committed to increasing the representation of women undertaking senior positions within their organisation as they firmly believe that greater diversity strengthens the capabilities of managers and positively impact our employees. As a result, our client has retained us to find female candidates for the role of Programme Manager.
As the Programme Manager you will be directly responsible for the management and coordination of the associated projects, process and people, required to successfully achieve delivery of the defined strategic change set for the Programme by the Executive Sponsoring Group. The role requires the successful candidate to carry out effective day to day co-ordination/ execution and administration of the programme through the programme lifecycle, ensuring it maintains the bank’s PMO standard in Programme delivery and end to end governance.
The position requires effective leadership & support of Project Managers, concurrent coordination of associated projects and management of inter/extra-project & programme dependencies - all with the aim of maintaining focus toward the common programme objectives. Management of schedules & costs, programme level risks and issues are all expected to be managed using industry recognised programme management disciplines. The Programme Manager will be responsible for communication and reporting to the associated Steering and Portfolio Sponsoring group, along with supporting the PMO’s role in all other necessary committees.
The role is crucial for creating and maintaining focus, enthusiasm and momentum in change activity. The Programme Manager will develop and maintain the programme environment to support each individual projects within it and ensure delivery within the agree project standards and agreed methodologies for programme delivery which will involve liaising with internal and contractor resources based in the UK, India and third parties.
The role involves providing management, direction, governance and oversight to all key stakeholders and project work stream leads and support functions which will involve some travel to India, third party locations and regular travel to other UK Operations sites.
- Organise assigned programme(s) and processes for taking on new projects together with associated reporting on the status of the programme position.
- Plan, design, resource, lead, control and document the overall programme gaining full understanding of other programmes and the impact dependencies, risks and issues.
- Ensure that programme activities operate within the agreed policies and procedures of the organisation and complies with all relevant legislation and compliance standards.
- Manage the allocation of common resources and skills within the projects belonging to the programme.
- Communicate with clients and other stakeholders to gain support for the programme and to solicit input to improve the programme
- Liaise with other managers to ensure an effective and efficient programme delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different project/programme activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency and ensuring this is undertaken to the appropriate levels of quality, on time and within budget, in accordance with the programme plan and programme governance arrangements.
- Coordinate and maintain the programme end to end, whilst ensuring that constituent programme activities operate within the policies and procedures set by PMO, and complies with all relevant legislation and compliance standards
- Day to day planning, supporting and managing of the projects, process and people needed under the programme- ensuring the right resources are available at the right time to ensure delivery of the programme to quality, time and within budget
- Be accountable for identifying, evaluating, communicating and managing priorities, risks, dependencies and opportunities across the programme, whilst proactively seeking the optimum route the programme should take in respect to these
- Management of the business expectation and outcomes by establishing and maintain working relationships with the Portfolio Sponsoring Group, internal departments (Operations, IT, Testing, Marketing, Legal, Compliance, Finance, etc.) and third party vendors (the latter with OSB Vendor management support) - ultimately ensuring the effective and efficient delivery of the Programme to set deadlines and the Business’s transition into the “new” BAU state in support of the bank’s Strategic objectives
- Control the programme and constituent project scopes, following prescribed PMO change governance arrangements; Ensuring effective quality assurance and overall integrity of the programme - focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the programme; and outwardly on its coherence with infrastructure planning, interfaces with other programmes and corporate technical and specialist
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with programme activities and take appropriate action to control and report on the risks including proactively monitoring the programmes overall progress, resolving issues and initiating corrective action as appropriate.
- Support the PMO’s role in all necessary committees, including chairing any appropriate committees when required.
- Work with the Business on the transition to the ‘new’ business as usual position
- Adherence to the agreed governance arrangements; Ensuring effective quality assurance and overall integrity of the programme - focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the Programme; and outwardly on its coherence with infrastructure planning, interfaces with other programmes and corporate technical and specialist standards
- Collaborate and conduct research on software and hardware products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts in line with Vendor Management policy and procedures and Architecture design policy and procedures.
- Conduct regular portfolio assessments with other programme managers to ensure that overall business project and change roadmap is fully understood and dependencies’ are identified and understood within the timeline plans
- Input, monitor and approve project / programme budget needs and ongoing management as required with formal reporting on a monthly bases.
- Monitor / undertake health checks of the programme activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation to assess the strengths of the programme and to identify areas for improvement. Report evaluation findings to the Exec and recommend changes to enhance the programme, as appropriate
- Support with internal and external audit reviews ensuring deliverables and findings are addressed in a timely manner.
- Be seen as a key SME within the Programme Change department representing the function in core working and steering groups.
- Line manage and coach all direct reports, including all aspects of performance management, development, conduct, sickness management, appraisals, employee administration and recruitment.
- Input into staff performance management, development, conduct, appraisals if identified as secondary reporting line.
- Maintain the company’s compliance standards and ensure timely completion of all mandatory on-line training modules and attestations
- 5 years previous experience within the Financial Services sector in a Senior Project management role is essential
- 3 years previous experience as a Programme Manager is essential
- 2 years previous line management as a direct or matrix reporting line experience is essential
- 2 years previous experience chairing internal committees and directing decisions from a senior management perspective is essential
- Extensive practical knowledge in importing data for use in reporting, spreadsheets, graphs and flow charts is essential.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbally is essential.
- Previous experience working with offshore operations is essential
- Previous experience working with Mortgage (Phoebus), Savings (Bastion) and Workflow (AWD) products and systems is desirable
- Excellent analytical, mathematical and creative problem solving skills are essential.
- Intermediate level of knowledge re use of Microsoft Excel, Word, Project and Visio is essential
- Significant knowledge of the project lifecycle and project approaches is essential
- Significant knowledge of both Programme and Project management methodologies including PRINCE2 and Agile is essential
- Robust knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures is essential
- Good understanding of the procurement process including negotiation with 3rd parties is desirable
- Good understanding of Lending and Retail systems and procedures is essential.
- GSCE/GCE qualifications in both maths and English are essential
- Prince 2 foundation/practitioner, PMI, MSP or other project/programme management or Change qualification is essential
- Degree (or equivalent) qualifications are desirable
Back to opportunities